Ethiopian Energy and Power Business Portal, EEPbp, is an initiative to bring together all the players in the Ethiopian energy and power business under one coordinated platform to create workable synergy for a common and long term growth opportunity.
Energy has been the engine of economic growth for the modern society and Ethiopia has recognized lately that investing on Energy and power infrastructure is worth the penny to achieve its aspiration of becoming a middle income economy by 2025 and sustain it thereafter. Although the abundant energy resources the country has and the remarkable investment to its development over the past few years has been the envy of the neighboring countries, still the energy development dynamics is inclined more to the public sector lacking the efficiency and effectiveness benefits of the private sector.
Despite the importance of the energy sector to the country’s economy, there has not been any single and easily accessible reference energy and power platform developed to date for energy practitioners and researchers across the country for them to study and add value to the overall efforts of the nation based on country specific realities. As a result of the lack of the kind of interactive learning platforms, the country has been a follower from behind in many forms instead of becoming among the technology leaders and be able to tap the real benefits of the technological innovations in time.
Given the large amount of investment Ethiopia has made over the years and the experience it enjoyed/gained in developing, building/constructing, commissioning and operating of energy and power infrastructures, it could have been able to export knowledge and expertise to other countries in the region and elsewhere to the benefit of the country. Despite the efforts of individuals, this has not been the case as a whole.
Ethiopian Energy and Power Business Portal acknowledges the significance of bringing together all the views on Ethiopian energy and power business to create a common knowledge so that all the stakeholders make an informed decisions. Leveraging the founder’s ample knowledge and experience on the sector, the portal will also shed light on the new developments across the globe guiding the possibility of adapting the external knowledge to the local context and vice versa. And in time, the portal will involve interested experts on the subject to create an interactive and lasting impact on Ethiopian energy and power sector business environment.
Ethiopia has made a commendable progress in increasing the electricity access coverage throughout the country over the past couple of years, yet the country has a lot to do on the last mile connections to reach more households across a variety of economic, political, geographic and societal scenarios . Ethiopian Energy and Power Business Portal envisions to share all the views under one platform to learn from one another and contribute for the success of the county's energy and power sector aspirations and in the mean time helping businesses tap economic benefits.
In short Ethiopian Energy and Power Business Portal aspires to :
- Bring together all local content and outside related knowledge and share the differing views under one umbrella,
- Promote the importance and significance of the energy and power sector development to advance Ethiopia’s economy,
- Advocate the need to invest on renewables and diversify energy resources to sustain the energy security,
- Promote the value of treating power as a commodity to tap the real benefits of the sector,
- Promote the significant of involving the private sector to drive not just the energy and power sectors but also the overall business environment forward,
- Highlight the need to equally work on energy efficiency,
- Advise startups and investors of any kind who wants to make a difference on Ethiopian energy and power sector businesses,
- promote the significance of workable country and regional level policies, regulations and directives, and become a policy analysis and debate platform,
- Promote new developments and bring them to the attention of practitioners and other stakeholders to take actions of their own,
- Work with sector practitioners and experts, public institutions, energy and power businesses, development and commercial financial institutions to make a difference on Ethiopian energy and power businesses together,
- Share insights of better sector practices, innovations and updates to policy makers, utility providers, consultants and practitioners and electricity consumers for all to act not just economically but also responsibly.